The Atlantic County Alternative High School (ACAHS) is a student-centered high school that provides a personalized learning program that is developed out of the student’s unique needs, interests and goals. Some key elements of the school’s curriculum include online learning, direct instruction in all content areas by highly qualified teachers, as well as a strong service learning program. The service learning program encourages students to participate in community service/service learning activities within their own communities. This in turn helps the students to realize they are part of a larger community, and they should participate in and benefit from regular community involvement.
ACAHS follows the New Jersey Core Content Standards for all students in grades 9-12. Our curriculum is designed to prepare students for graduation, higher education and the world of work.
The Atlantic County Alternative High School curriculum provides for the following:
- Personalization & individualized attention
- Student advisory and advocacy
- Active engagement in community partnerships
- Hands-on, project-based learning
- Integrated curriculum
- Student reflection and self assessment
- Work Readiness training connected to the students’ lives, communities, and local businesses
- College & career preparation
- Technology use integrated throughout